In light of the current circumstances, it’s no surprise that many newlyweds are opting for a honeymoon in the UK (or ‘Mini-Moon’) instead of a honeymoon abroad.
In this article, we share the most recent Mini-Moon statistics of 2021, revealing the most popular Mini-Moon destination in the UK, the average cost of a mini-moon and the average number of monthly searches for terms such as ‘Mini-Moon destinations’ in the UK.
How Popular are Mini-Moons in the UK?
To find out how popular Mini-Moons are in the UK, we conducted an analysis using the tool Keyword Finder. This allowed us to discover the following minimoon statistics:
- An average of 5,200 searches are made every month in the UK for the term ‘Minimoon’.
- ‘Honeymoon UK’ is also a popular search term, receiving an average of 1700 searches each month.
- According to the wedding planning site Hitched, one third of people have both a honeymoon and a Mini-Moon.
What’s the Most Popular Mini-Moon Destination in the UK?
The UK has a vast array of beautiful destinations for a staycation honeymoon or Mini-Moon. Whether you’d prefer some time out in the countryside or a more lively city break, our country has a wide range of options to suit any taste (unless you’re holding out for reliable weather… then we can’t make any promises!)
To find out where in the UK most people want to go for a Mini-Moon, we conducted another keyword analysis using the formula ‘Honeymoon X’, with X being the name of each of the largest cities in the UK (based on population), or alternatively, each of the 27 UK counties. This allowed us to view the average monthly search volumes for each of these terms over the last 12 months.
What’s the Most Popular Mini-Moon City UK?
The table above shows these findings, displaying the top ten most popular cities for Mini-Moons in the UK:
- The most popular Mini-Moon cities in the UK are London and Edinburgh, with the search terms ‘Honeymoon London’ and ‘Honeymoon Edinburgh’ both receiving an average of 60 searches a month.
- Second place is Glasgow with 50 searches per month.
- Other Mini-Moon destinations that make up the top ten include Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Belfast and Nottingham, all with an average of 10 searches per month.
What’s the Most Popular Mini-Moon County in the UK?
The table above shows these findings, displaying the top ten most popular counties for Mini-Moons in the UK:
- The most popular Mini-Moon county is Cornwall, with an average of 370 searches per month.
- Second place is Devon with 50 searches per month.
- Other Mini-Moon destinations that make up the top ten include Bristol, Dorset, Hampshire, Kent, Norfolk, Suffolk, Sussex and Yorkshire, all with an average of 10 searches per month.
How Much Do Mini-Moons Cost Compared with Honeymoons?
As you can imagine, the average honeymoon costs significantly more than the average Mini-Moon. But just how much money would you save if you opted for a Mini-Moon instead of a honeymoon?
- Well, according to Hitched, the average honeymoon costs a whopping £4,545, with the cost of a Mini-Moon typically coming to a total of £1,051.
- This means that on average, if you opt for a Mini-Moon instead of a honeymoon, you’d save approximately £3,494.
How has the Coronavirus Pandemic Impacted on Honeymoon habits?
The Coronavirus outbreak has unfortunately had a huge impact on weddings in the UK, with an estimated total of 64% of all weddings being cancelled or postponed.
To find out about how the Coronavirus pandemic has affected honeymoons and minimoons specifically, we analysed online searches made in the UK using the tool Keyword Finder. In doing this, we found that:
- As you can see from the graph below, the average number of monthly searches for ‘Honeymoon UK’ dropped in February 2020 and tended to coincide with lockdown restrictions in the UK (increased restrictions resulted in lower search volumes). In recent months, the monthly search volumes have risen following the plan set out by the government to relax restrictions.
The change in search volume for ‘Honeymoon UK’ during the Coronavirus pandemic.
- The chart below shows the average number of searches overtime for the term ‘Mini-Moon destinations’. As you can see, prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, the term was searched at a high volume, but following the initial lockdown in the UK, the search volume has dropped and not recovered to the rate that it once was.
The change in search volume for ‘Minimoon destinations’ during the Coronavirus pandemic
- The following chart shows that the search volume for the search term “Minimoon” has increased dramatically in recent months, with around 40,500 searches for the term in the UK in February 2021. This is a promising statistic for the industry moving forward.
The change in search volume for ‘Minimoon’’ during the Coronavirus pandemic
We hope these minimoon statistics have been useful in providing you with everything you need to know about honeymoons in the UK in 2021. If you’re planning your honeymoon soon, we hope you have an amazing time!