In light of the current circumstances, it’s no surprise that many newlyweds are opting for a honeymoon in the UK (or ‘Mini-Moon’) instead of a honeymoon abroad.
In this article, we share the most recent Mini-moon statistics of 2020, revealing the most popular mini-moon destination in the UK, the average cost of a mini-moon and the average number of monthly searches for terms such as ‘Mini moon destinations’ in the UK.
How Popular are Mini-moons in the UK?
To find out how popular mini moons are in the UK, we conducted an analysis using the tool Keyword Finder. This allowed us to discover the following minimoon statistics:
- An average of 1,500 searches are made every month in the UK for the term ‘Minimoon’.
- ‘Honeymoon UK’ is also a popular search term, receiving an average of 960 searches each month.
- According to the wedding planning site Hitched, one third of people have both a honeymoon and a minimoon.
How has the Coronavirus Pandemic Impacted on Honeymoon habits?
The Coronavirus outbreak has unfortunately had a huge impact on weddings in the UK, with an estimated total of 64% of all weddings expecting to be either cancelled or postponed.
To find out about how the Coronavirus pandemic has affected honeymoons and minimoons specifically, we analysed online searches made in the UK using the tool Keyword Finder. In doing this, we found that:
- As you can see from the graph below, the average number of monthly searches for ‘Honeymoon UK’ dropped in February 2020 and then dropped even further again in the month of April (just after the COVID-19 lockdown was announced).
The change in search volume for Honeymoon UK’ during the Coronavirus pandemic.
- The chart below shows the average number of searches overtime for the term ‘Minimoon destinations’. As you can see, searches dropped significantly from March to April and then again in the month of May.
The change in search volume for ‘Minimoon destinations’ during the Coronavirus pandemic
- The good news is, searches for these two terms appear to now be on the rise, with searches for both ‘Honeymoon UK’ and ‘Minimoon destinations’ being back on the rise.
What’s the Most Popular Mini Moon Destination in the UK?
The UK has a vast array of beautiful destinations for a staycation honeymoon or minimoon. Whether you’d prefer some time out in the countryside or a more lively city break, our country has a wide range of options to suit any taste (unless you’re holding out for reliable weather… then we can’t make any promises!)
To find out where in the UK most people want to go for a minimoon, we conducted another keyword analysis using the formula ‘Honeymoon X’, with X being the name of each of Google’s Top UK Minimoon destinations. This allowed us to view the average monthly search volumes for each of these terms over the last 12 months.
The table below shows these findings, ranked from the most to least popular UK minimoon destinations:
The most popular Mini-moon destinations in the UK
- The most popular minimoon destination in the UK is Cornwall, with the search term ‘Honeymoon Cornwall’ receiving an average of 200 searches a month.
- Second place is London, followed by Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- Bath, Belfast and St Ives also receive a significant number of searches each month for honeymoons.
- Other minimoon destinations that also made the Top 15 list include: Brighton, Bournemouth, Liverpool, Bristol, Blackpool, Manchester, Birmingham and York.
How Much Do Mini-moons Cost Compared with Honeymoons?
As you can imagine, the average honeymoon costs significantly more than the average minimoon. But just how much money would you save if you opted for a minimoon instead of a honeymoon?
- Well, according to Hitched, the average honeymoon costs a whopping £4,545, with the cost of an mini-moon typically coming to a total of £1,051.
- This means that on average, if you opt for a minimoon instead of a honeymoon, you’d save approximately £3,494.
We hope these minimoon statistics have been useful in providing you with everything you need to know about honeymoons in the UK in 2020. If you’re planning your honeymoon soon, we hope you have an amazing time! Back to The Blog